henryjoebob 142
Sarah 129
nerdfiles 127
manic 127
Jess 124
Cindy 123
Adam 106
Random Faqqing
There seem to be lots of things missing or that just plain don't work.
That's not a question. Its a statement. It's an honest mistake to be sure, but maybe its a sign that you should start spending more time thinking about how you might improve yourself and a little less time nitpicking every little detail of any given website.
firefox_logo
idiotechnica.com uses CSS3 and is optimized for viewing in Firefox versions 3+

share this thread on facebook

Michael Post Author Photo: Michael
My New Ibanez S 470 DXQM
01/26/12 03:39 PM

Stock pickups replaced with PAF-MO and PAF-JO pickups so the guitar sounds like joe satriani even if I don't. 

I don't love this more than my RG...but I do love it.

Also...elliot taking a nap.

I bought it from a guy who was liquidating his entire guitar collection so he could by a ridiculous expensive custom Carvin guitar.  I got him to give me the guitar (which is in pristine condition) and a digitech rp-255 modeling processor for 400 even.  The processor sells for 150 new and the paf pickups would be about 160 for the pair. the guitar sells for 600 new.  What a freakin steal.

he also gave me the the stock inf pickups which arent great, but will go nicely in my other RG that I keep because its got a fixed bridge which is better for recording.  The pickups that thing came with are god awful EMG knockoff pickups.  They sound like mud.  My nice RG has inf pickups and they arent great but they are still better than the mud.  I am determined to switch them out for evolution pickups at some point.  

Post ID: 21800

Dylan Post Author Photo: Dylan
01/26/12 03:47 PM

I'm deciding between:

Click to Enlarge!

Click to Enlarge!

Click to Enlarge!
Post ID: 21802

01/26/12 03:51 PM

les pauls are nice guitars.  The better I play the more I want one. but the price will never be justifiable.   Ive looked at a few used ones, but no one has one in good condition. I think its because they are big heavy clumsy gutiars and probly get banged around a lot.

The sgs are retarded.  why anyone would pay that much for such minimal hardware is beyond me.

Post ID: 21804

01/26/12 03:53 PM

I was leaning towards the blue Les Paul (800).  Then I payed tuition the next day. So it's still at the store. 
Post ID: 21805

01/26/12 03:56 PM

you also should look at PRSs

even the SE models which are japanese or chinese i think...they play as good as les pauls for half the price.  The pickups sounded pretty good when i played one at guitar center...but they might be worth swapping out.  The only downside to them is that youd have to deal with your friends making fun of you for having a fake PRS.

Post ID: 21806

01/26/12 03:56 PM

Dylan: I was leaning towards the blue Les Paul (800).  Then I payed tuition the next day. So it's still at the store. 

that 800 dollar les paul has those crap plastic tuning keys that break...so be prepared to swap them out.

Post ID: 21807

01/26/12 04:02 PM

for realz though.  how is your guitar playing?  I used to think les pauls sucked because i couldnt play them for shit...but it was me that sucked.  I thought you were more beginer guitar for some reason but i could be wrong.  If that is the case though...les paul is probably too much guitar for you and would end up frustrating you in the long run.  get a strat or an ibanez RG.  My low end RG was 300 bucks and plays excellent...it just has those garbage pickups on it that dont even bother me unless im recording.  an american standard strat is like 450 and they play great too.  Chris has one and loved it until he got his ibanez js.  but no one who has an ibanez js gives a shit about their strat anymore.

sorry if i am wrong in your abilities. but either way the SG sucks. dont get it.

Post ID: 21808

01/26/12 04:12 PM

This is the guitar I have been playing for over 10 years:

(photo from google, but my guitar is this exact model)

I love it but I really dislike the floating bridge.   Makes tuning a nightmare, to the point where I will grab my acoustic 99% of the time if I want to noodle around just to avoid any possible tuning issues. 

As for skill, I'm probably not a cuccaro but I can hang.   Really I'm just looking for something with bigger/fatter tones. Now that I"m old, thrash isn't really my thing anymore, so I'm playing old man rock and roll. Big, slow riffs that need to sound like they are coming from god himself.

Strats are ugly and I will never buy one.   I always thought Ibanez was built for more technical metal styles which I"m no longer interested in. 
Post ID: 21809

01/26/12 04:17 PM

Side note: this is inspiration if you're writing some new songs.  Propagandhi at work on a new album:

Post ID: 21810

01/26/12 04:22 PM

Dylan: This is the guitar I have been playing for over 10 years:

(photo from google, but my guitar is this exact model)

I love it but I really dislike the floating bridge.   Makes tuning a nightmare, to the point where I will grab my acoustic 99% of the time if I want to noodle around just to avoid any possible tuning issues. 

As for skill, I'm probably not a cuccaro but I can hang.   Really I'm just looking for something with bigger/fatter tones. Now that I"m old, thrash isn't really my thing anymore, so I'm playing old man rock and roll. Big, slow riffs that need to sound like they are coming from god himself.

Strats are ugly and I will never buy one.   I always thought Ibanez was built for more technical metal styles which I"m no longer interested in. 

ibanezs are more versatile than people give them credit for. The neck allows for speed so it tends to be a choice for thrashers but ive been playing a lot of blues lately and the neck is fine for that and even my INF pickups sound good in non metal styles.  your yamaha there is actually an RG knockoff.    What is ugly about a strat?  They are boring looking, but not ugly at all.  I think all fixed bridge ibanez RGs come with those v7 emg knockoffs though so youd have to be prepared to swap them out for something else.  a  lot of people get a fixed bridge RG and swap the pickups for seymour duncan jazz pickups which are reasonably cheap and great fro rock, classic rock and blues. Besides. if thats the stuff you are playing youd probly be fine just swapping out the bridge pickup which would cut your costs even more. 

One more reason to buy a strat...you buy it for 450 and your done.  They dont put crap hardware in them.  They are the only guitars under a thousand bucks that dont need immediate upgrades after purchase.   For the record I am not refering to squire strats whiich should be thrown in a dumpster immediately after purchase. 

Post ID: 21811

01/28/12 12:22 PM

I honestly have no idea where to start with modding guitars.    I couldn't tell you what kind of pickup I'm looking at and I wouldn't know what to buy to swap it out.   

Is there a guitar version of "kicking the tires" for when you are guitar shopping?   What are some things that are valid indicators of the quality of the guitar/pickups?    I find sound to be so dependant on the amp you're using and the tone settings of the guitar itself.  

As for strats, I'm not sure why I despise them, but to me they look like childrends toys. The only person who ever looked cool playing a strat is Clapton, mostly dude to his rad paint jobs.  
Post ID: 21821

01/28/12 02:13 PM

Dylan: I honestly have no idea where to start with modding guitars.    I couldn't tell you what kind of pickup I'm looking at and I wouldn't know what to buy to swap it out.   

Is there a guitar version of "kicking the tires" for when you are guitar shopping?   What are some things that are valid indicators of the quality of the guitar/pickups?    I find sound to be so dependant on the amp you're using and the tone settings of the guitar itself.  

As for strats, I'm not sure why I despise them, but to me they look like childrends toys. The only person who ever looked cool playing a strat is Clapton, mostly dude to his rad paint jobs.  

if you werent a racist, youd know jimi hendrix looked bad-ass with a strat.

as I said...anything you buy for less than a grand will need uprades.  Its not even about what you get so much as getting rid of the stock pickups. you dont get the sound you want out of the amp with crap pickups...you are just using the amp to cover up the crap the pickups are producing. 

im not an expert by any means and had no problem with pickups till i started recording tracks direct...then the difference was night and day. 

i think the price of the pickups is heard in the division of the strings.  i can crank distortion on my PAF pickups and still hear every string ringing individually.  with my inf, i can hear the strings but they meddle with eachother. the low end emg wannabes just create one muddy noise in the right key.  When recording direct or with a mic, the more distinction in the strings, the more precise you are going to be with EQs and any frequency specific effects.  Same thing with the amp...the EQ will produce much better results. Think of it in megapixels terms. the more pixels you have the better the results of your photoshop filters.  the more dithered, the less you can do with the photograph.  

I think the different style pickups tend to be about where the gain goes.  my inf pickups send gain to the high mids.  my paf pickups take gain in the lows and low mids.  The pafs provide a naturally warm sound while the infs are happy lala.  The standard strat pickups are happy lala.  They make the tex-mex pickups too which even come on some of the higher end strats but can be bought for about 100 bucks aftermarket too - which are happy lala on crack.  If yuo wanna play classic rock...you want more happy lala.  For happy lala on an ibanez or a prs or whatever for cost effectiveness youd go with the seymour duncan jazz. i totally wanna copyright happy lala as a technical term now.

Another good thing to do is think about the music you want to emulate and find out what the guitar players doing that kind of music are using.  If the guitar player has a signature model, find out what pickups are in that guitar.  

stock les paul pickups are happy lala by the way. i still think youll have to replace the plastic pretending to be ivory tuning keys on that 800 dollar model though.

Post ID: 21822

01/28/12 02:22 PM

I was reading through this the other day:

http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/article/2472-the-complete-noel-gallagher-oasis-gear-guide.html

and came to the realization that "I can't afford any of this shit."   I have spent my entire life pissed off that I can't afford good gear. The curse of being an eternal student I guess.   

Your point about pickups upping the "resolution" of the strings kind of hits home, I'm currently playing through this:

which has a really great warm sound for lower tones, but if I strum the entire guitar the higher strings just completely dominate and erase the lower tones out. Very very very annoying.  

Post ID: 21823

01/28/12 02:23 PM

Mike what are you doing the weekend of April 20th? I'm celebrating my 30th in NYC and I'm inviting the internet.  
Post ID: 21824

01/28/12 02:28 PM

Oh, and I knew you were going to drop Hendrix, but there is a reason he looked awesome with a strat: he was lighting it on fire.
Post ID: 21825

01/28/12 04:53 PM

that sounds more like an amp issue.  the speaker cant handle both low and hi at the same time.  thats typical of smaller amps. you can fix that by getting a better amp or swapping out the speaker.

and its just more racist that you only think a black man can look badass if he is in danger of being incinerated.

Post ID: 21826

01/28/12 04:54 PM

Dylan: Mike what are you doing the weekend of April 20th? I'm celebrating my 30th in NYC and I'm inviting the internet.  

dunno. maybe NYC

Post ID: 21827

Osker Post Author Photo: Osker
01/29/12 03:09 AM

Is that a parrot on your shoulder? Cute.

/leaves thread
Post ID: 21828

01/30/12 11:32 AM

Lindsay you should come too.  Do you know if Julio is still in NYC? 
Post ID: 21832

Osker Post Author Photo: Osker
01/31/12 10:45 PM

Dylan:
Lindsay you should come too.  Do you know if Julio is still in NYC? 

Orly. That's kind of far for me. Sorry, Dylan. I hope you have a lovely 30th, though.

As for JC: Yes, I believe he still lives in NYC.
Post ID: 21844